Finley Turns One
Finley, I can't believe you're one already! It truly doesn't seem like it's been a year since I held you for the first time in the hospital. We didn't know you were a boy, and Daddy brought your brothers and sister to the hospital and kept the secret the entire way until they first saw you. They love you even more today than they did when you first came out. Drexler is so delighted to have a younger brother. He plays with you all the time when the kids are at school, teaching you different things and celebrating every new thing you try.
You spent a lot of your first year sick though. You had a rough winter with a lot of colds (probably that Drexler gave you after bringing home his school germs and hugging and kissing you too much). But you'll be stronger for it now and in the future, at least that's what Daddy keeps saying.
You had dark hair when you were first born, but it bleached blonde during your first summer. You also have long, curly, thick hair. You've already had two haircuts before your first birthday! Strangers constantly comment on how much they love your hair. You always smile and hide your face in my chest whenever a stranger smiles or talks to you.
I think your first word might have been "Uh oh." You just said it a few times this week. You've said "Da da," but I'm not sure it was deliberately referencing Daddy. I think you might have just been experimenting with sound. "Uh oh" was in the appropriate context though (dropping food). So I think it might be your official first word.
You also took your first few steps last week. It was at Mikan's Midwest Orthotics appointment. Ironic, right?
You still don't sleep through the night (waking up about 2 times to nurse still). You also like to wake up early in the morning. I've been struggling with sleep this first year, but I'm remaining optimistic for the future!
Here is a list of some things you currently enjoy doing:
You spent a lot of your first year sick though. You had a rough winter with a lot of colds (probably that Drexler gave you after bringing home his school germs and hugging and kissing you too much). But you'll be stronger for it now and in the future, at least that's what Daddy keeps saying.
You had dark hair when you were first born, but it bleached blonde during your first summer. You also have long, curly, thick hair. You've already had two haircuts before your first birthday! Strangers constantly comment on how much they love your hair. You always smile and hide your face in my chest whenever a stranger smiles or talks to you.
I think your first word might have been "Uh oh." You just said it a few times this week. You've said "Da da," but I'm not sure it was deliberately referencing Daddy. I think you might have just been experimenting with sound. "Uh oh" was in the appropriate context though (dropping food). So I think it might be your official first word.
You also took your first few steps last week. It was at Mikan's Midwest Orthotics appointment. Ironic, right?
You still don't sleep through the night (waking up about 2 times to nurse still). You also like to wake up early in the morning. I've been struggling with sleep this first year, but I'm remaining optimistic for the future!
Here is a list of some things you currently enjoy doing:
- Grabbing someone's hand and walking around
- Playing peekaboo with Drexler
- Wrestling Drexler
- Swinging
- Eating apples and spitting them out in small pieces
- Nursing
- Eating big people food
- Climbing up slides and falling down them
- Dancing (waving your hands up and down when music plays)
- Crawling up (and diving down) stairs
- Playing in the basement (where the big kid toys are)
- Crawling around outside
- Riding on one of the kids' scooters while someone pushes you
- Feeling the faucet water run through your hands
- Standing up in the stroller or shopping cart
- Emptying out the bottom of the refrigerator
- Splashing in the bathtub
- Trying to splash in the toilet
- Sitting at the bottom of the tub while someone showers.
On your first birthday, we went out to Fazoli's for dinner. You like pasta and breadsticks (and so do your siblings. It was Mikan's idea to go there because he only eats the unlimited breadsticks).
We celebrated your first birthday with a Halloween costume party for our family. Anica planned a scavenger hunt, crafts, dancing, and games. It rained the entire day, but it was still a big hit. We are so blessed to have you in our lives Finley. Your presence has made us all better people. Happy birthday!
We celebrated your first birthday with a Halloween costume party for our family. Anica planned a scavenger hunt, crafts, dancing, and games. It rained the entire day, but it was still a big hit. We are so blessed to have you in our lives Finley. Your presence has made us all better people. Happy birthday!












Comments
Post a Comment